What is Cloud?
When you store data on or run programs from the hard drive, that’s called local storage and computing. Everything you need is physically close to you, which means accessing your data is fast and easy, for that one computer, or others on the local network. When you host away from your locality it has come to be known as hosting in the Cloud.
In the simplest terms, cloud computing means storing and accessing data and programs over the Internet instead of your computer’s hard drive. The cloud is used as a metaphor for the Internet, though it is much more than that. It is the ability to self provision resources, to automate functions and procedures, and generally extend the functionality and efficiency of a hosted computer system. All this is done whilst hiding the complexity from the end user.
Many companies are moving away from building their own infrastructure and hosting it themselves to support internal services and applications. Companies are avoiding the overheads in procurement, maintenance and running costs of computer resources and the staff necessary to support it and obtaining these services from the a Cloud Service Provider (CSP) instead allowing them to concentrate of their core business rather than the IT. Services are provided to many customers from a shared infrastructure giving benefits in efficiency and economies of scale.
Software providers are centralising their service by running their software in cloud environments rather than on-premise hosting at customers’ sites. Service centralisation through the cloud allows their customers to have their own instance of the application but hosted and supported centrally removing the IT management burden for the customer and the support burden of keeping on-premise sites up to date with the latest software for the Service Provider.
To summarise, cloud is simplification & transformation of the data centre ensuring that you have the right workload in the right place.
Cloud Service Provision with Millennia
The Millennia Cloud brings cloud-like consumption and provisioning attributes which is different to traditional hosting. It includes professional services such as security, back-up, load balancing, patch management, firewall & network elements, disaster recovery/business continuity and optional application management for database and middleware. Using the award-winning software-defined & web-scale technologies of Nutanix, we provide enterprise grade storage with high performance compute, with built-in security systems to protect data from internal and external intrusion.
Through Nutanix, the Millennia Cloud enables powerful multi-cloud architectures. Enterprise Cloud OS software melds private, public and distributed cloud operating environments and provides a single point of control to manage IT infrastructure and applications at any scale.
Millennia only uses data centres in the UK so you are assured that your data will not be held globally. All data centres are accredited to ISO9001:2008 and ISO27001:2013 and all have redundant 10Gbit/s fibre connections.
To conclude, Millennia cloud brings you a performant, scalable, agile and secure platform providing optimum performance and a seamless user experience. Millennia becomes an extension of your IT department.
Millennia Cloud : Benefits
- Invisible infrastructure to the customer
- Nutanix Enterprise Cloud Hosting Platform
- 100% platform uptime since inception
- Scalable, user-friendly model : pay as you grow
- Scale up as well as scale down as markets demand
- Self-healing infrastructure
- Dedicated resources charged as a total resource pool – RAM, CPU & storage
- Known, declared data centres in the UK
- Known costs, increase only when significant expansion required – fixed contracts
- Capacity to run all expected workloads with contingency for unexpected workloads
- Control over data – where it lives, how it is transferred and who has access
- Input/output performance can be tuned to workload
- Relieves the user of the management burden of the IT but still have overall control
- Good for existing applications where workload and scale growth is known
- Agile, on-demand execution
- Flexible – virtual machines built to exact resource requirements and not fixed templates
- Security and fault tolerance built into each layer through a distributed security system protecting data from attack from both outside and inside the data centre
- Custom designed to user requirements (including user standards, applications, users & processes)
- Problems prioritised based on understanding of user needs
- Reliable and flexible hosting service in close liaison with customer IT team
- Optimum performance and a seamless user experience
Indeed, working in close partnership with one of our valued customers has enabled their clients to move to our platform for the hosting of their software with the benefit of out of hours service, 100% availability and the removal of any burden of IT for the client.
Our Data Centres
Millennia only uses data centres in the UK so you are assured that your data will not be held globally which is important for meeting the GDPR requirement of ensuring that personal data is stored within the EU. The main data centre is in Nottingham with additional facilities at both Maidenhead and Leicester.
We can offer equipment placement in multiple locations for IT Resilience (Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery) purposes as required, including global load balancing to allow one site to fail over automatically to another for mission critical systems.
All data centres are accredited to ISO9001:2015 and ISO27001:2013 and all have redundant 10Gbit/s fibre connections.